Thursday, June 17, 2010

Running a marathon while never leaving the house!


Does anyone else feel the same? I feel like a crazy woman all day contemplating all the things in my house that need to be cleaned or done. Every day is a constant battle in my head of importance. Falling behind makes me feel like a failure, which to me is not an option.
It seems like the bigger kids don't understand or care how hard I work, when they come home and throw their stuff all over the place and destroy the bedrooms that I worked so hard to straighten while they were in school.
There is nothing more that I love more than my children, but Mommyhood is one of the most thankless (as well as thankful) jobs in the world. The thankful part is the hugs, kisses, cuddles, i love yous, hastily drawn stick people on construction paper with your name written above them, awesome school made mothers day presents where your children claim the best thing my Mommy cooks is cereal or pasta (My culinary skills obviously need some brushing up!) The sneaking downstairs well past bedtime to cover my face in kisses, making it impossible to threaten with a spank.
The thankless parts are the wall art made with pencil, marker and crayon that won't wash off. The paint on the carpet from finger painting, the dragging out of every toy you put away that morning. Pulling out every clean piece of clothing and strewing it out on the floor with the dirty so that they all need to be washed again. The "I hate you" that you wish your 8 year daughter would take back because it is too early to hear that.
And of course your babys father, whether that be your husband, boyfriend or some person you met in a bar and forgot their name. Whether they are there or not, it's all the same. Mine is as big of a help as one could expect. He is amazing.....when he is home to help at least. But when he is, he tries to help.....by undermining my authority as a parent. It's wonderful he wants to step in and help, but all it will serve to do is confuse my kids and make them not listen when i have them by myself all summer.
And the most thankless part of being a Marathon Mom (Or SAHM if you prefer) is the lack of 2 incomes, especially when your 1 income isn't much to write home about. I doubt we will ever be able to take our kids on vacation, or to Disneyworld. I doubt Todd and i will get to renew our vows in 3 years and go on the honeymoon cruise I wanted to go on.
That being said, every kiss, hug, and baby sleeping in my arms is worth it. The thankful outweigh the thankless and the smiles come more often than the tears.
I run a marathon in my home every day. I am exhausted, worn out in tears most days, but every morning I awake with a smile....lucky to be blessed with all I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment